View Single Post
      02-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^chris, thanks for the superb pictorial writeup! i opted to go the lift route (a lot faster and convenient) and have since re-adjusted my exhaust tips since my initial install. what really helps is ur very last tip on exhaust tip protrusion. my left tips stick out ever so slightly more than my right ones, so i'm going to readjust the 8mm nuts just immediately below the rear bumper cover to fix this. however, i do notice my tips still stick out quite a fair bit more than urs do? it's protruding about 0.5 inches now.

this whole perfect placement thing is seriously a work of extensive patience and meticulous detail. i've opted to go visually with my alignment since i don't have access to a digital micrometer, but i'd say it's about perfect for my very particular human eye now.
A lift make things much too easy
Glad you found the write-up useful because that's what it's all about. Since gasket ring is round and the mufflers pivot on an axis, the lower the muffler hangs the further it protrudes from the bumber cover. If your muffler hang a little lower than mine, this may be why thye stick out further

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Great DIY, even more awesome Z4M.
Thanks Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony @ eas View Post
Wow, it looks like it took a lot of time to put this DIY together. Nice work
Thanks Anthony. The labor was quick, but the photo editing and write-up took more than 8 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Awesome thread right here! Could of used this the first time I did a swap. After six or seven I'm an old pro. Had no idea about the moving rear cover though. Sweet!
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Very awesome of you to do this writeup. The fact that you took the time to explain how to jack the car up properly is golden. This will be very useful when I change out my diff and tranny fluids.

Thanks again!
no problem, this is why included "using jack stands" in the title. I figure if someone is searching the DIY for how to Jack up the Z4, this thread should pop up. I'm glad you found it useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSKE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
well written diy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Didn't know about the 3/8" play in the bumper. Will need to see if I can get my exhaust protrusion to look right with your tip. Thanks!
no problem, glad this tip helped out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Chris, I really appreciate you doing this for me. Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Mad props for taking the time for this DIY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What a wonderful DIY with lots of great tips! I couldn't agree more on the jacking tips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Bookmarked! Very well done, very high caliber effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy View Post
WOW awesome DIY! I didn't remove the diffuser for my install though. Probably would have been a lot easier on me if I did =P
Thank you
Yep, it can be done without rear diffuser removal. You just get better access around the bulky stock muffler with it romoved.