View Single Post
      05-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
FiascoJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
Anyway, why are you engine braking? The proper technique is to use the brakes to slow the car, and to heel-toe at the appropriate time, or to at least rev-match if you are not on the brakes.

Engine braking wears the clutch and is less effective than engine braking. Wheel braking is more effective and brake pads by nature are wear items that are expendable and relatively inexpensive to replace.

Sorry for being a little harsh since I know you personally, but I'm just saying...
I guess engine braking is misleading since it makes one think of the way a semi truck engine-brakes (down-shifting to slow down). What I mean is keeping the car in gear with no throttle input.... something like driving in second around 30mph, taking foot off throttle and coasting while still in gear. So the car is decelerating with the engine helping slow the car down. The gear pops out as soon as I touch the clutch.

I'm going to buy the tranny mounts and see if that fixes it. I'll change my tranny fluid at the same time since I have to take off the under-body shielding for this.

Thanks for the tips inTgr8r and mousitch! I would have never thought to replace the mount bushings. I'll update this post when I know if the tranny mount fix solves my problem.
Appreciate 0