09-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #89
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I skimmed your reply above but I am not interested enough in this debate with you enough to read all of it. There is no "burden of proof" needed to create laws and many laws are created without guaranteeing the outcome. When we create laws that don't work we have the ability to alter or remove them. I am not happy with the current system and its' results when it comes to gun violence and believe we should try something else. I am open to ideas on how to change the current system to make it better. You are welcome to believe otherwise. I also believe this one of many problems our society has and in the big picture of my life this isn't something I dwell on. I am also pretty sure neither of our opinions on this issue will change.
You're talking about enacting a law to remove people's freedoms. Regardless of whether or not you believe you should HAVE to justify that opinion, the bottom line is, you do. The reason you do is because of the fundamental structure of our government.

In the case of what we should be free to do, this country is founded on the idea that "You should be able to do anything EXCEPT - X, Y, Z". Exceptions that we agree as a society benefit us to outlaw. This is the opposite of "You can ONLY DO - X, Y, Z". We start with and prioritize Freedom and make necessary exceptions, not the other way around.

So if you are trying to add another exception to the things we are allowed to do, you need to justify why you believe we should have less freedom. That is the Burden I'm speaking of. It's not on us to justify why we should be allowed to. It's on you to justify why we shouldn't. That is why the question "why do you need this?" isn't a valid one.

You mention you're open to other ideas. I think anyone with an open mind is. But being open to other ideas doesn't mean we are going to implement them without proper justification.

If I'm sick, I may be open to any treatment which can cure me. But I have to be cautious not to act out of desperation and not to try anything that anyone hands me. I have a limitless number of things I could try ranging from raw food diets to blood letting to homeopathy. Do we try them all? Do we only try a few? If so, how do we decide which few we try?

If you propose a solution, you need to demonstrate to me how it will be effective. I'm not just going to fill my body with random trash or perform random procedures in a desperate effort to get better.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0