Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer
Prohibitive ?

What do you mean by this ?? Was his price quote not reasonable for the part ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Interesting. Perhaps the engineering made things difficult ?

The hatch molds that I worked with are not problematic at all and will yield Resin Infused parts rather than their open mold wet-lay-up parts...all at an affordable price.

I even used my coupe to test fit. I guess I should knock out a few and list them for sale.
It isn't the mold itself which causes problems. We all know that while getting more affordable, carbon fiber is still expensive.It's a situation of economies of scale really - as production numbers increase, unit costs decrease. Producing 1 piece is clearly going to be more expensive per piece than producing 10, or 100. Now coming into play is the demand at various prices.

So basically by saying costs are "prohibitive" it is to say that the manufacturer, based on it's internal estimations of the market, does not expect the demand to be adequate given price. At the price it could offer should it produce 10 pieces, it may expect 6 or 7 buyers. At the price it could offer should it produce 100 pieces, it may expect 70 or 80 buyers. Who knows the actual numbers - the point is that price point is prohibiting would be buyers at given levels of supply. Leaving the company with a surplus of product to move that it will most likely lose money on, which is obviously not the goal. Of course, I am not speaking specifically for Challenge, and am just using these numbers to explain the general concept.
Appreciate 0