View Single Post
      11-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #1115
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
BMW has used mechanical belt tensioners on the m54 (spring loaded)
But they have all been replaced with the hydraulic ones from what I understand on realoem/etk (the same product# as in the s54)
So BMW advice for all bmw's is to install the hydraulic ones (the mechanical version is not sold anymore formally althought stil available online)
So maybe the m54 mechanical version fits on the s54: vice versa it seems to fit so there is a chance (I still have the mechanical one so no hands on experience there).
Be sure that if you mount a mechanical one that all the screw lugs mount to the oil housing etc, and there are no gaps (fill gaps with spacers/rings or so), like discussed in this alpinaforum thread:
http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/...er=asc&start=0

product# mechanical tensioner: 11281427252

I don't know if you get better tension in high revs with the mechanical one. All S sixes always had hydraulic ones afaik. If your belt fails, it can cause a lot of damage as you can read in the alpina thread.
That scares me, I've had enough troubles with my oil filter breaking...

I think a bigger crank pulley and bigger supercharger pulley is gonna be my next mod, once finances allow. Right now I'm gonna enjoy the huge bump in power I already have, and pray that I can find the missing boost somewhere.