View Single Post
      10-15-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Then comes the power steering fluid...I went deep into DIY....nothing. I did see that someone suggested using a turkey baster, then refill...NO. I want it all out, all flushed, all clean like new. New hoses, new filter ( still not sure if there is just a screen, or also an actual reservoir/filter for PS ?). As far as the fluid, am I right that Castrol Transmax ATF is correct ?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I will say I did find a Z4 (non M) Power Steering Reservoir Change on Pelican Parts. Not sure if the best way to go may just be to spend the time and money and buy a whole new reservoir. Write up says use ATF, but in parts to buy next to it they list Pentosin CHF 11S, which only adds to my confusion....Grrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
My steering is feeling a little "different", maybe slightly notchy at very low speed. Thinking of changing the fluid. Since the airbag has to come off to access the fluid and the procedures I've seen calls for running the engine/pump while cycling out old fluid and mixing with new, what have other people done? Also, I've read that the filter in the reservoir is not replaceable and many replace the reservoir as well. Would love to hear from folks that have done this. Thanks
I see no need to replace the reservoir if it's OK or to worry about getting the last ounce or two of old fluid out. Put the turkey baster (gently) directly against the filter and after sucking out some fluid look for black particulates. I've done a few of these on other cars and twice have seen black bits come off the filter screen on a first fluid replacement procedure. Anything on the filter screen seems to come off the first four or so suctions of the baster. Using two qts total of fluid strikes me as the way to go for a thorough but still easy job.

Last edited by m5m3mc; 10-15-2017 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0