View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #25
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Only a poorly designed engine has weaknesses like those. I understand the S54 has won awards, but they don't give awards for longevity. 2JZ has crank main seal leakage issues, but usually from folks boosting the hell out of it. Otherwise, there are many of those floating around 100k+ miles without ever being opened (I have one of them). I had made almost 800 wheel on that stock motor, opened it up at 126k miles for the first time, the bearings looked brand new and were still within thickness tolerances. Go figure...

I can name a handful of "high performance" engines which don't have these type of "open up the motor to replace part" weaknesses.

If you have to replace your rod bearings at 40k miles (and you don't drive the piss out of it or have power adders), then the engine has a flaw (oiling I would suspect), or was assembled improperly at the factory.

4G63 7bolt engines have crankwalk issues, yet another flawed engine design, even though they make great power. But I will disagree with you that every engine has a weakness, especially in the context of being in stock form.
+1 on all points,

I emialed VAC motorosports about the issue who made this comment "BMW just didn't get it right with the S54, it starts with the clearances and the oil flow is too low to insure bearing life"

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0