03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Sounds like you haven't watched top gear In a while. Clarkson more often makes comments about Porsche owners than BMW owners.
Not really. In fact I've got seasons Ten through Eighteen on DVD, and I've watched them all save for episode 7 of Season 16, which I'll watch one night soon.

Clarkson doesn't say much about BMW owners generally, but he seems to have a special disdain for the E85/86 and its owners. And their magazine continually disses it in the ratings section in favor of the Boxster.

By contrast, 5th Gear always liked the E85/86 but panned the current E89 because they thought it wasn't a proper sports car like the E85/86. Having said that, any 5th Gear reviews that I have seen always seem to be fair and balanced, in my view anyway, whereas Top Gear commonly goes for theatrics and cheap laughs. While undoubtedly highly entertaining and fun, that errodes their credibility as a serious car show.

In fact, as I recall, they may have escaped a law suit from one of the big electric car manufacturers recently (Tesla, I think?) after dissing the car by claiming that they were in fact an entertainment program and not a car show. And thus, they should not be taken seriously.

http://www.teslamotors.com/teslavstopgear

FRom Wikipedia:

"The comments were made following Clarkson showing a limp windmill, and complaining that it would take countless hours to refuel the car, using such a source of electricity. A BBC spokeswoman said several times in an interview that Top Gear was "an entertainment programme, and should not be taken seriously."[30] After several weeks, Clarkson wrote a blog for The Times, acknowledging that "the film we had shot was a bit of a mess", but defending the film's claims.[31] In the months following Clarkson's acknowledgement, the original episode, including the mis-statements, was broadcast on BBC America and BBC Australia without any edits being made. It has been reported that the BBC is still looking into the show's journalism standards.[32] In March 2011 Tesla Motors filed a suit accusing the BBC of libel."

Of course, if you accept this, it means that Clarkson's comments about the E85/86 are all in good fun and we should all just laugh at them!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-12-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0