07-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm not an avid auto-crosser like some but I do instruct occasionally with the local BMW CCA chapter. So this is just my personal observation.

If you've never auto-crossed before, the harder you try to go fast sooner, the slower you will go. Try and wrap that around your head.

If the organization offers you a walk-through in the morning before you get in a car, make sure you walk it. The perspective you gain from walking it will help tremendously in driving it, and I don't mean by just memorizing the course layout. That higher up perspective you gain from walking it will allow you to spot the various turn-in and apexes easier.

Lastly, take the opportunity to ride with more experienced, faster drivers if you could. My experience with this isn't related to AX, but when I first started High Performance Driving long, LONG time ago, I used to grab a ton of ride-alongs with instructors. Literally every session I'm not driving or on track, I'm out riding passenger seat with an instructor. Doesn't matter if I know the instructor or not. The fastest way to learn high performance driving, is by observing. I have a feeling that it's the same for AX.
Thanks for this "non-technical/driving style advice" too. I tried to do the walk-through but setting up my car took a little more time than I thought so I was not able to make it in time for the walk. It would have definitely been beneficial and I will make 100% sure next time to arrive earlier.

Next time I'll see if I can ask anyone for a ride, but I felt kind of weird doing so since most of the people out there were competing for points. I don't think an extra 200lbs would be very helpful...

Quote:
the harder you try to go fast sooner, the slower you will go.
This seemed true to me, looking at my results. My fastest run was actually one that I thought was slow because I was being more cautious. Once I started pushing it more (as shown in the videos above) I got more out of control which added time, plus the couple cones I hit...
Appreciate 0