View Single Post
      11-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

The decline of the 3 series

While our Mini is in the body shop, we were given a 328i as a rental. I've been driving the car for a week now. When pushed, and in sport mode, it is fairly capable & balanced, but so much of the BMWness is totally gone. First of all, the thing is huge. And the steering feel & sense of engagement - it may as well be a Toyota Camry. I realize that all of this has been said a bazillion times, and this is the base model, but it's just sad. Having owned an e36 and an e46, and driven plenty of e90s, I've felt the progression from a very direct, connected feel to the current almost totally detached state. The e46, and the e90 to a certain degree added some desirable civility. But the f30 has taken this progression too far. BMW's motivation is totally understandable given the current market for the 3 series, and the general direction cars are going (rolling iPads). It just bums me out to see the passing of an era.

(Sorry to post my rant here, I just wanted to stay out of the fray of the general, or 3 series forum)
Appreciate 1