07-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by em koop View Post

I guess the real question is, I know the S54 makes less torque at 7500 than 5000, but if I'm in 3rd instead of 4th, does the extra acceleration due to the ratio of the lower gear more than compensate for the lower torque due to higher revs?

I guess I was hoping that some hardcore track rat with data acquisiton gear could provide proof that 7500 in 3rd pulls harder than 5000 in 4th (or prove it doesnt...)
What you have to take into consideration is the time it takes to shift vs. the difference in torque between 7500rpm and 5000pm, in addition to where you will be downshifting for the next corner, it an additional downshift is worth it. While these cars doesn't have a torque curve like say a Z06, the difference in torque drop off isn't as drastic as say an S2000 where you have to stay above a certain threshold every second to worry too much on the top end. That being said, if I'm coming into a corner and only have to leg it out for a second or two at high RPM to get through it, I'll do that over shift. There's a track here in the South that going 4-5th I cross the start finish line just as I am nearing redline. I'll normally leg it out till right before the limiter hits so I can know consistently that I'm crossing the line before that shift and getting every bit out of each lap.

Being it was your first track day, there is so much more speed to be found, so instead of thinking about it too much and taking a F1 data approach, just get back out there and drive and see what works best.