View Single Post
      07-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I have a few questions that might help in optimizing a reliable method and a gauge as to when cleaning is really necessary.

If I pour a bucket of water down the back of the raised soft top, I should expect to see two streams of water - one in front of each mini mud flap just forward of each rear tire, correct? If I see no streams, or one stream, or weak streams, then I've presumably got a problem, right? YES

Does the design of the well and the placement of the motor and drainage tubes make water accumulation more likely when the parked car is inclined with the nose lower? - or the tail lower? - or does it make no difference at all? I saw some pics of a disassembled well that seemed to indicate that tail UP/nose DOWN parking might be a better option for best drainage, as the driver side hole is in an even deeper well (housing the motor) at the front left corner of the soft top stowage cavity, and if the nose is up water could possibly pool in the rear of the cavity and never even flow to the motor housing well fro drainage. I DONT THINK THIS WILL MAKE A MUCH OF DIFFERENCE. IF DEBRIS GETS IN AND CLOGS IT WATER WILL EVENTUALLY COLLECT AND BUILD. THAT SAID, PARKING NOSE DOWN WOULD MAKE WATER COLLECTING ON THE TOP RUN TOWARDS THE WINDSHIELD AND NOT THE REAR WHERE IT WOULD EVACUATE VIA THE DRAINS. WHAT WOULD ALSO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WOULD BE IF THE CAR WAS TILTED MORE TOWARDS THE PASSENGER SIDE.

Should the rubber 'sphincters' be permanently removed, or left in place unless actually cleaning the tubes?

Is the design and 'plumbing' such that blowing compressed air from the bottom of the tubes (sphincter removed) up into the well a viable method, or will any debris simply accumulate in the well and then re-clog the drains? Is blowing DOWN even possible? BLOWING DOWN IS NOT POSSIBLE. THE MOTOR COMPLETELY BLOCKS ACCESS (compare to the passenger side). WHEN I BLOW UP, DEBRIS FLIES OUT THE TOP. EVENTUALLY IT STOPS APPEARING. I TAKE THAT AS A SIGN THAT THERE IS NO MORE. I WILL THEN USE A VACUUM AND CALL IT A DAY. NO MORE THAT CAN BE DONE

Is there a position that the soft top can be halted during deployment such that access to the drains is easier? Is there a position where the well can be vacuumed clean or blown out?NOT FROM MY EXPERIENCE

Appreciate any thoughts from those who have been through this?

Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0