View Single Post
      12-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #82
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Guys,

Now that I disocvered the ECU's speed data in Randy's file is good for all runs, I've started having fun analyzing stuff as a way of learning how to do things before i get out there myself.

I've been playing with the Split Report view's theoretical best lap, which requires that you have a track map loaded up. Using my VIR map that has each corner and straight broken out, RS2 grabs the best time among all laps for each of the 17 corners and 6 big/little straights, and comes up with a 2:23 theoretical lap, or 5 seconds faster than what Randy actually put down. This essentially says that if he strung together the weekend's best pass through each individual corner or straight, he'd have done a 2:23.

However, that may not be realistic as going faster in one corner might whack you up for the next--think turns 4 and 5 at VIR, for example--and so looking at bigger segments that each include related corners and straights (as Matt suggests earlier in this thread) would provide a more attainable best lap. So, I built another map with seven segments: for those familiar with VIR, (1) The front straight, from Start-Finish, down through Turns 1-2, up to the kink before Nascar, (2) Turn 3 and the short straight after, (3) Turns 4, 5, 5a up to the bridge, (4) The Climbing Esses and South Bend, down to the braking zone coming into Oak Tree, (5) Oak Tree and the back straight, (6) the Roller Coaster--Turns 14, 14a and 15, and (7) Hog Pen and the front straight down to start-Finish. (I'll send this map to Matt for TrailBrake)

Using this map, Randy's data yields a 2:26 theoretical best lap.

I was originally getting zeros in the theoretical best lap for all corners/segments in the Split Report. Then, using the Lap Manager view, I disabled all laps (right click the lap to do that) that weren't actual laps, or that were incomplete in/out laps. Leaving enabled only laps that were marked with "GPS Lap Time" made the theoretical best lap work.

Though this might be handy/fun to know about.