03-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #18
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I just (last month) bought my M coupe from out of state, so had to smog for registration. Sniffer is still performed in addition to OBD2 readiness check. Euro Header, DKF Section 1 with 300cell cats, stock Xpipe, SS powerloops. Not only do I have a check engine light (Service Engine Soon) for code P0420 (translation: cat ain't working), but I also failed the sniffer miserably. I also have an AA tune that should resolve the check engine light, but it's apparently not up to the task. Previous owner did not have a check engine light, so my next order of business is to get in touch with AA and see if they are willing to modify the tune.

Next time I have to smog, I'm plugging the o2 bungs on my DKF Section 1, swapping in the US header, and taking it for smog that way. I'm interested in a 400-cell, smog-passing aftermarket cat that can easily swap into the place of the DKF 300 cell cats, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've never seen an aftermarket cat easily pass smog in good 'ol CA.
A tune won't solve your issue. All it does it disable the sensors into "not ready," which is an automatic fail. Guess we're gonna have to wait and see who's gonna take one for the team. That's Cali for you. Only state that if you dare just to even fart next to your car while getting the sniffer test, you'll fail. Gotta love it.
Appreciate 0