United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Throwing in the towel - winter tire advice

After living in hot places for the past 8 years, I've moved up to DC and experienced my first "real" winter last year. I'm looking for advice on which tires to buy so that I can enjoy the cars year round. My situation is a little unique:

- I have an old Grand Cherokee that I drive when it snows, so I'm not forced to drive the Z4/Z4M if I don't need to. The only winter precipitation they will see is the occasional surprise snowfall, at which point I will just drive carefully.

- I have summer tires and wheels already. The sole reason for the winter set will be to enjoy the cars year round in the colder temps. Average temperature in the winter is 20-30 degrees, occasionally getting into the single digits.

I've noticed the Michelin PA4 gets pretty good reviews, but it's not available in wide sizes. I would be running either a 225/255 setup, or a square 255 setup:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Alpin+PA4

My question is, should I go with all seasons for the width, or are there tires that grip better in the cold (like the Michelin PA4)? I'm looking to move to a 255/285 setup if possible.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0