View Single Post
      02-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #20
MT135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
The new-used engine came from California, I'm not certain the shop it came from, hope to find out in the next few days. It was expected to arrive today. The cost was $5,500 for a complete engine with 52k miles. de-install and install looks to be about $4k. I'm adding new radiator, oil cooler, clutch, flywheel, engine shims...most of this for just parts money.

I haven't seen the document yet, but I'm told the engine has a 2-year warranty.

There was metal (like a lot) in the oil of the existing engine when it was drained. I'm not giving it good hope. There is a $500 core charge on the engine from the supplier, I'm not certain they are getting the better end of the deal. I could be wrong, maybe one of the blocks could salvaged. What little skills I have, engine rehab is not one of them.

$10k +-$1k is probably the magic number for a used engine and labor. You should add another $3k for ancillary replacements (clutch, radiator, etc.). I read a few of those horror stories, and I really thought about all the options. There were a few different engines with various miles and stated warranties....the prices all seemed about the same. So I really just went with the best warranty. I think 2 years is pretty good actually.

I'm still considering sending this engine to Lang. It is going to California for the return trip, may as well detour to Lang and see if it is worth more than $500. It's going to cost another $10-$13k, but I would have a second engine. Honestly, this is worse than my boat thing.
Fwiw Lang has done a lot of work on my own cars and several friend's BMWs. He does fantastic work and holds a great reputation in OC.