View Single Post
      10-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

S54 blown...replace or C5Z06

There I was off the coast of Madagascar on the Road to Hell 7.4 mile race loop...the 911 RS was in the lead, followed closely by a GT3, a C6Z06, me in the Z4M, and a M3 in tow (it was prepped, maybe 2,800 lbs). 7 laps...no one had changed place. Turn 8 on the 8th lap and "poof", no power and check engine light.

Yes, I spun a bearing. Engine is now toast. It wasn't the Madagascar race course, but rather Summit Main...about the same experience. Thinking about sending the whole car to California for a Lange rebuild. I put 30 or so track days this year on the Z, it was beat on pretty hard. I probably should have already replace the bearings, but I figured I would use the winter for the maintenance....just didn't make it.

So blown engine at least has me thinking. Lange rebuild is +$12k. I've considered just buying another Z4M and scavenging the engine and keeping it as a parts car...that's $20-$25k. My wife will kill me if I have another car in the front. But then a 2003 C5Z06 cropped up with 18k miles for $20k...interesting option.

I don't know if we BMW fanboys give the corvette it's due, but it has me thinking. I could find a used S54, have the bearings done, and install it for $8-$10. Or I could add $10k and get the C5.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a spare S54?
Appreciate 0