View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
If you're looking for a driving EXPERIENCE, you will not find a better car than a classic 911. If you've ever driven a set-up, classic 911 with modifications and updated engine and tranny, you would never look at the Cayman again.

They're also much better economically than a new Cayman. As soon as you drive that new Cayman off the lot, take $20,000 off from what you just paid for it. Drive it for 2 or 3 years, and it's down to $25 or even $30,000 off.

You could even pick up someones project 911 off of ebay with an updated drive train for somewhere south of $35,000. Slap $15,000 on suspension, cosmetics and other misc. things, and like in the video, you will have a 2,100 lb, 275 hp car that is totally unique and custom to you and will beat the snot out of most modern cars, including the new Cayman in looks, cornering and straight.
Thanks for the thoughts and the video, very interesting. There's a man who's found his car. I can't say I possess the dedication and detail orientation to get where he's got. I also lack his mechanical apititude and knowledge so reliability is a bigger factor for me than it is for him. I also live in Canada which means I have Canadian winters to deal with and I do drive occassionally in the winter. I suspect that wouldn't be very good for a classic 911. You're right about the economics though, no doubt a classic 911 would cost me less than a new cayman per year. But honestly I can't say its athestics really do it for me and I just don't have the desire, ability or dedication to do what's he done. I suppose that's how they sell new cars...
Appreciate 0