05-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamel View Post
Thank you to everyone that has replied. The posts have been very insightful. Ideally I plan on using the car for street applications, with the occasional track day. It will be more of a weekend toy, with one of my other cars acting as my daily.

rcleme05 brought up a point in regards to maintenance on forced induction applications. How intensive is this maintenance and rather, how specialized would a technician have to be? My family owns a Mitsubishi Dealership that currently employs a BMW master technician. We do a lot of performance work on other technical, but be it different vehicles (ie Lancer Evolutions and Ralliarts). Given I would get the forced induction application setup installed at a more specialized shop, how much maintenance and tweaking does a supercharger entail?
Superchargers have very low maintenance compared to turbocharging and etc. With a properly installed supercharger setup, it can still retain daily driveability and have the power on tap for when you need it.

I would say maybe the belt tension and proper cooling of the charger itself is the most important part of a supercharger system. Also, the proper tune is imperative for the safety of your engine.

Good luck with the project and let us know if you need any help!
Appreciate 0