View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
MadGus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
bignosejim Just wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks for this thread from a few years back. It was a tremendous help to me as I wrenched on my 2006 Z4MR for the first time (other than replacing an alternator a few months back). I watched the fatboys garage video series, read the beisan manual many times, ordered most of my parts from ECSTuning, but this thread is the only thing I found which helped me to understand what exactly I needed to do which was specific to the Z4M!

As an aside, I followed the * part of your reassembly/spline insertion steps to a T. It worked exactly as you thought it would... essentially allowing you to reattach the spline gears to the vanos pistons with the vanos unit already seated beneath the chassis cross brace.

I didn't reset vanos adaptations, but did fire it up and let it idle for 2-3 minutes... no lights, smooth purring idle...

This was all preventative work on my part... here's a quick rundown of what I did on my almost 54k miles ride: replaced vanos solenoid with beisan upgrade, vanos seals, beisan oil pump disk, cam bolts, upper chain guide, valve seals, went ahead and shimmed the valves (3 were out), and new plugs.

Hope you are still enjoying the hell out of your Z4M... I know that I am!
Appreciate 0