View Single Post
      04-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Gle8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4Mc

StopTech Brakes are the worst

When I bought my Z4Mc, it had StopTech BBK (front and rear) already installed. I had bought it as a daily driver, and it immediately became apparent I was going to have to re-learn my braking technique (and general driving technique) to accommodate for them. The slightest touch of the pedal produced immediate stopping power. Almost too much. But I persevered, and got used to it.

Yesterday I went out to test drive a few cars. I'm considering picking up a replacement daily, as the M is just a bit too aggressive (and low) for everyday Philly driving. I drove a CLA45, C63, and a 2015 STI (launch). I'll spare you the reviews of each, but I wanted to share this:

When I drove the STI, I loved it. Yeah, it's a bit low budget, a bit rattly, but the engine was great and the handling was superb. And then I hit the brakes. I almost plowed into the car in front of me.

I told the sales person that there was something wrong with the brakes. There is no way an STI should have that little stopping power. He agreed, and gave it to the tech when we returned.

The diagnosis? The brakes were fine. No issues.

So this is an STI, which means Brembros. And they were crap. Absolutely hideous. And that's when it hit me: I'm now stuck with StopTech forever. I can't imagine not having that feel, and that stopping power. My point of reference is permanently changed. I even started considering the WRX, as I could spend the money saved on a BBK.

Damn you StopTech. Damn you to hell.
Appreciate 0