View Single Post
      11-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #251
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

From my experience, the 1st to 2nd gear grind in the Z4M is coming from the huge difference between the 1st gear ratio and 2nd gear ratio and the fact that there's play between both engine and transmission.

In order to shift correctly, some say that pushing pressure to the left on the shift knob all the way in the 1-2 shift.

I would say that is not enough, what's "key" here is to start applying pressure on the shift knob before touching the clutch pedal because i think that the synchros stop to be driven by engine power the moment you touch the clutch pedal and this will be inadequate for the 2nd gear due to the huge ratio difference, so to summarize the shift will feel like you stole away 1st gear.

The second aspect is to wait for your transmission is at full temp. The gearbox has a tendency to grind much more when cold (especially if after a session of stop and start traffic where you're fed up and just want to get on it on the open road)

I still grind it to this day because I don't pay attention to this and my engine mounts may have probably gone too soft, so I bought some replacement polys AKG just to help me do the trick for the 1-2 shift.
Appreciate 0