View Single Post
      05-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
As to getting the ABS pump flushed, I had seen on the M3forums that if you have the ignition in the on position (engine not running) and depress the brake pedal while doing the bleeding, it will activate and cycle the ABS pump. You'd have to think about how to do this with your pressure bleeder too - maybe start at each corner by manual bleeding using the brake pedal and a buddy, and then switch to the pump for the rest of the bleed, I don't know. I can tell you I bled the brakes in my M3 the manual way with my wife pressing the brake pedal and it went smoothly, and didn't take too long either.
I don't think you'd need to activate the ABS pump for each corner. Isn't it a centralized unit? Meaning, once it is cycled/activated whatever air or old fluid will be purged into the system and ready for "removal" during the normal procedure. Here's what I think would work for someone using a pressure bleeder...
1) Turkey baste the old fluid out of the MC.
2) Fill the MC with new fluid.
3) Attach the pressure bleeder to the MC with a bottle of fluid in there and pressurize.
4) Go to the corners and bleed fluid until it looks clean and/or bubbles stop coming out.
5) De-pressurize the bleeder and remove.
6) Top off the MC with new fluid.
7) Have a friend sit down and turn the ignition on. Have them pump the brakes 15-20 times and on the last pump have them stay down on the pedal while you open the valve. Close the valve. Your friend can release the brake pedal once the valve is closed.
Perhaps do this at the driver's side front so whatever comes out of the ABS pump has a short distance to travel? This step, I would think, should flush out whatever is discharged from the ABS pump.

I actually do both a pressurized and manual bleed/flush. I use a Motive Bleeder and open the valves at each corner to pull new fluid through the system. Then I do the manual pump routine with a friend pumping 10-15 times and holding on the last pump while I open the valve. I do this for all corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
One definite, definite word of caution with the bleeders - if that thing comes loose from the master cylinder and gets brake fluid on any painted surface, you will have major paint damage - the stuff is real bad for paint. I have seen a couple of bleeders burst off from the master and it's a mess to say the least. I guess I'd use it if I were sure it was secure, but I didn't have one and doing it the manual way nearly guarantees minimal risk of brake fluid getting on any painted surface (just wrap towels around the master to catch drips from filling.
Have you ever seen this happen? It is one of the most horrifying experiences short of a jack stand shifting while you're under a car. It isn't like you can just quickly wipe it off... almost on contact the damage is done! And another word of caution. Use latex/nitrile gloves if you're handling brake fluid. It is extremely bad for your kidneys (and liver, too) and can be absorbed through your skin.