View Single Post
      03-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I've done flex and CSB on other BMW models. It should be similar.

Remove any heat shield to expose drive shaft channel.
Place a jack under the tranny to support it.
Replace tranny mount bracket.
Mark the drive shaft with marker or whiteout. Make sure you mark the two shafts to keep the balance.
Unbolt the flex disc from the tranny. You'll probably need to make a couple of rotation. I unbolt the ones to tranny.
The drive shaft should pull straight out. You can remove the remaining three bolts to remove flex disc.
Remove the two bolts that mounts the CSB. Make sure you have something to support it or hang it to avoid putting pressure on the u-joints. You'll need a puller to separate the CSB from the half shaft. I picked up a set of puller from HF.

Reassemble is the reverse. Make sure you insert the bolt the right orientation. The flex disc have an arrow pointing the direction. Realign the mark is very important. Search for E36 flex disc replacement.

You might consider any shift linkage refresh while you have the flex disc out. It is much easier to replace any shift bushing. I suggest upgrading tranny mount at the same time. The most difficult part is separating the CSB from half shaft.

I'm planning on doing my before summer. Too many projects going on now.
Appreciate 0