View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

Compare and contrast the M coupe and M roadster

Sounds like your last high school english class, right?

I've been pining for an M coupe but there are only about 50 of them ('06-'08) in existence in the color I really want. So I'm entertaining the notion of a roadster as it's more likely I can find what I want (and at a lower price) if I widen my options.

However, I would like to track the car. The BMW CCA here in CO doesn't let roadsters into their DEs, although I know other clubs do (and open lapping days have allowed them).

So the question is, what kind of performance compromises would I be making in going to the roadster? I assume they are heavier, but how much? What about stiffness decreases, and how does this impact handling? Finally, I expect that the cloth top has an increased maintenance/repair cost - how are those holding up now that the cars are 5-6 years old?

(And if you know of a space grey M coupe that's available, let me know! I'm willing to travel/ship the right car...)

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0