07-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #256
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Future reference bro. I know most people don't care about gains with exhausts...but losses aren't wanted either.
+1, I'm always curious too.

I also like to compare the dyno plots (if any exist) of exhausts built "just for sound" to BMS's. Without DME reprogramming it's tough to make any change in peak HP, but quite possible to gain useful power through the bottom and midrange (IE: daily driving rpm range). There are basically four criteria for selecting an exhaust (sound, perceived quality, power and cost), as weight savings and appearance are good with just about every aftermarket exhaust for the Z4 M. Sound is the most subjective, most people see quality of most of the exhaust offerings as acceptable, costs range a bit from $1k to $2k. Power is the one aspect that I see people willing to give up on the Z4 M because it's "just an exhaust". True, there's not a lot to be gained without software, but most exhaust companies don't even print dyno runs. This leads me to think that they are not in any way tuning for power, but just for sound and looks. Well, IF you're looking at comparable sound, looks and price - why not get an extra 5-10hp? Even if it's through 2/3s of the rpm range, that's still power you didn't have before.

I think I'm just a bit old-school on the subject of exhausts. First and foremost there should be some power gain. Paying money for different sound/tips is like paying money for bling wheels - why not get a performance advantage AND better appearance instead. The answer of course is that people are very particular about the look of their wheels, just like they are about the sound of their exhausts.