Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Thanks for the template!
That really helps.

We could use a few more dimensions for the stud holes, if that's possible.
If not I'll add them when I get the car up on the lift again.
The studs are M8 so that will help with hole size.
When I measured the stud centres with a pair of large dividers, they were 90mm apart. If you can drill with your holes at exactly 90mm apart, then you should be able to use holes in the shim which are 8mm each. If the shim doesn't fit onto the studs, just drill one hole at 8.5mm and test fit, if this is not right, then drill the other hole at 8.5mm, and keep increasing the holes by 0.5mm, and so on, until the shim fits with the smallest holes.

in any event, once you use the resin to attach the shim, some of the resin will fill any space in oversized holes, but I don't think that's critical. It's increassing the thickness in the chassis region, preventing flexion, which is what we're trying to achieve.

The shim which I scanned has been fitted on my car, so if you use the centres of those holes, and use a 8mm drill as your starting point, then stepping up in 0.5mm drill sizes, should soon produce a shim that fits.

If I were to weld the shims in place, I certainly would want to weld the shim to the studs, because that would tend to weaken the studs.
Appreciate 0