View Single Post
      12-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

No I used the original flywheel. After 80K it was still good, both the surface as the lateral and axial play.

Flywheel: some minor heat spots but still flat (spots too). I have a picture somewhere where the original lathe grooves are even still visile

Actually the original clutch (and bearing) also had quite a few miles left. (not enough though to pass TIS inspection on the clutch when/if the gearbox is taken off for other maintenance)
But when it's under the car, you can't tell. I installed this one because I got an extremely good deal on it.

I used the original flywheel, so zero chatter.
I thought about a single mass flywheel but only valeo has one, and then you still have a normal clutch. This clutch isnt ment for a single mass flywheel as there are no springs in the disk.
Also the clutch is a bit heavier, so when you stop for a traffic light or so, you're more inclined to put it in neutral, so more confrontation with possible chatter with a light flywheel.

For now the sachs holds up fine. Shift/clutch feel is much better, it is extremely predictable when it grabs, so that helps a lot in shift/clutch/throttle feel. You get a faster shift because you have more feedback on when exactly you can apply power.
You get used to it very quickly (the heavy pedal), much faster than a light pedal. When I did my first testdrive (1 mile or so), and got in my regular car again to go home (I was at my shop), I almost stalled the car twice...overwelmed by the light pedal....head filled with question marks if I turned into some kind of retard....

That's also a bit the problem with modern cars; nowadays when you step into a different car (manuals of course) you just drive off as usual, but back in the days (90's and befor) you always had to get used to the pedal feel of the new car for a few miles. I completely forgot how that was back then.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1