View Single Post
      11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Interestingly enough, I recall my first day at T-bolt and I was using 3rd/4th a lot but quickly realized I was using the wrong gears around certain areas of the track. I was redlining too often and found that I only needed to be in 3rd for heel/toe for a turn, ie the one left hander but I'd get back on 4th pretty quickly. The only other section is the sharp right leading into the octopus, and again it's a quick blip on gas, h/t from 4th to 3rd. But staying in 4th for the majority of the track with the exception of hitting 5th on the front straight gave me a lot more usable power and far less stress on the motor. Surprised your instructor didn't tell you to change your shift patterns.

Tony - hope things work out and this doesn't deter you from doing more track days in the future. Whatever happened really does sound like a freak incident. One other shop I'd consider is Northeast Motorsports in Mahwah. Both myself and gtmc have gone there in the past with good results. Mike is a standup guy and has worked on a few s54 Z4's.

My only track day woes include a bumper that looks like it was sprayed by an automatic bb gun. I told myself, one last respray and I'm finally going to clearbra the sucker. Painters tape isn't enough...