View Single Post
      02-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #33
creator8
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M COUPE

Having modded many a prior car on one level or another, including a recent 400whp Subaru STi track day special (w/ an easy 25k in mods), I really can't see too much point in doing a whole lot to the M Coupe.

The diff swap definitely sounds reasonable. But getting into the motor IMHO is pointless--the car is already way fast enough for most mortals on the road and only a pro driver should want for much more on track. And you really can't beat a well tuned naturally aspirated high horsepower motor like this one.

Exhaust/Intake--if its a high quality setup and you want a little or a lot more noise, maybe, but don't do it for power, cos as said above you'll only think you're noticing a difference. Same goes for an ECU tune--plus you're potentially messing w/ warranty and service plan.

Brakes--my first impression (I've only had the car for a week) is that they are pretty darn good. If you're tracking the car, maybe a Brembo or similar BBK would make some difference, but weigh that against getting free pads and rotors from BMW under the warranty and service plan. I'd rather have the ability to go back to the dealer when I wear them out at the track.

Suspension--yes, I'm sure thats probably the place that improvements best can be made if you're tracking or Auto Xing, and of course a slight drop does make the car look wicked. I'd be hesitant not to lose the cars suppleness and balance though, especially for street driving. Maybe a good track tuned alignment here for a couple of hundred bucks.

Wheels and tires--definitely and probably the best way to personalize the car. Again, need to balance going to 19s with staying on 18s and keeping the suppleness. 19s do look good though. I'm sure there's better tires out there than the Contis, especially for track.

Interior/Controls--seats are fantastic for anything short of full on racing IMO. With the nav, bluetooth and iPod interface, I'm not really wanting for much more on the ICE--well maybe Sirius, but thats a bit steeply priced IMO. So maybe a short shifter and the much praised CDV, though I'd probably actually want to drive a car with both before going there.

In reality, of pretty much any car out there, the M Coupe hits its target with the least compromise, so there's not a whole lot of room for major improvement w/o spending massively, losing the fantastic warranty and service plan and compromising its balance as a daily driver.

But of course we will play with them...
Appreciate 0