norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Fresh top installed - non OEM

So against my better judgment I decided to try out an aftermarket top and headliner. My top and liner were cut when I got the car. A factory top and headliner were pushing the $2k mark. I figured since I was a shop owner I could do a service to my customers if it came out ok. I like giving people options.. and I don't mind being a guinea pig.

The top and liner was purchased from www.autotopsdirect.com. The top was $549 and the liner was $275 I had Fine Line Upholstery in Rancho Cordova perform the work. We refer a lot of customers to them and they've always done a great job.

Results - the top is perfect in every way. It is very snug and looks OEM.. there are some issues with the weather stripping which I'll deal with at my shop next week. However the fit and finish of the material is OEM quality. They said the headliner seemed a bit short and they had a very hard time pulling it properly. It also looks OEM and looks great.

I'll update this thread in a few weeks once I've had a chance to take a better look at it and run the top up and down a few times.