View Single Post
      12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
jslym777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Everything you mentioned in a botched brake job isn't because the person was ill informed, it would be because the person didn't follow directions. If you've ever read a BMW technical manual for most jobs, they are extremely detailed. And if you do ANYTHING DIY and DON'T follow directions, then you deserve what comes to you.

No, a DIY'er isn't going to be taking a step 3 abrasive on a DA to their brand new, $15,000 Mercedes SLS liquid silver paintjob. If you can afford the SLS with a $15,000 paintjob, you're hiring a detailing professional anyways.

Just like for brake jobs. I'm no mechanical guru, but I could get through a brake job. Unfortunately I have to hire someone because I don't have the time or the space in my garage to do it.

Just like detailing. I enjoy detailing my car and do a good job at it. Sometimes it lasts the whole weekend. When you start talking about "feeling" of a detail and waxing, then you're not talking about a detail job for our cars. No one is going to be dropping $2,000 - $5,000 for a high end professional detail job for a Z4 or Z4M. In the opposite, no one is going to be DIY detailing their 458 Italia with Turtle Wax from the Dollar Store.

Autogeek is your #1 source for detailing. Everything you need, and need to know, is contained right there.

Just follow directions, take it slow, and start off small.
You dont have to spend $2,000 for a professional detail as you mentioned. People bring me brand new $30,000 cars and have them detailed for well under $1,000 and that includes a latest and greatest sealant. I've done a whole bunch of paint corrections on cars that aren't exotics like civics, subarus, BMWs, and more. So to say its only for the rich is not true.

If you do end up doing it yourself with a safe Dual Action polisher then you still have to be sure to mask off trim, spend tons of time polishing, otherwise you'll think its working but its really not if you move too fast, paint surfaces are different, some hard, some softer. And if you dont already have everything you need its not going to necessarily be cheap to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0