View Single Post
      03-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

In my only event so far with my Z4 M Coupe, I launched at about 3k RPM to get initial some heat into the rears. This is about what I did in my E36 STU car.

If your course design follows Roger Johnson's guide, there may be a sharp turn (pg 5) after the start so you won't have much of a launch before you need to brake. This first element is not only fair to slower cars, I would think it also saves your driveline a bit. I find if I drive within the limits, I can get things warmed up for the next run. If I spin, I try to quickly recover and keep going at 9/10ths to build up heat without seriously over-driving.

So on the only 4 runs I've had last fall, which were on OE Continentals, I had fun with understeer (full depth fronts) and glorious throttle oversteer usually on the same corner . While I'd gotten used to the E36 for 11 years, I quickly learned how the E86 talks back - slightly more sharply, but the car still makes my skills look better than they are .

I'll be running in a very lightly prepared road tire BSP with 265 Star Specs with AST 4150s and camber on order. Wheel studs coming in tomorrow (only had 2.75 turns of engagement with OE bolts and 5mm front spacers and my long bolts are too long) so I'll at least be able to try out the Star Specs sans ASTs in time for our first tune up event.

Happy runs to all!
Appreciate 0