View Single Post
      05-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Southern6er
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 645Ci Convertible

Hate to revive an old thread, but my friend's Z4 is pretty much the same way. This is my first post, and I really hate to create a new thread on something already covered by an existing thread. So please excuse this resurrection.

Problem is, it wouldn't even unlatch when pressing the button. I had to determine where the problems lie. I didn't know if it was the latch motor, the top motor, or a switch.

Through a few PM's with ShipKiller, he sent me a diagnostic to do to test. I manually unlatched the top with an allen wrench. In this case, clockwise rotation loosens the latch (opposite of righty-tighty). Once loose, I pulled the red tab in the trunk to release pressure on the hydraulics. Top lifted back with ease and I secured it in place. I then put the tab back in it's normal position to allow the motor to operate normally.

Pressed the lift button and it came up, closed, and secured with no issue. So I'm seriously suspecting the switch for the compartment floor, as shown above. My friend had mentioned trying to open/close it repeatedly to get the top to go, so that kind of confirms the symptoms (at least to me).

Ordering the part is no biggie, but with beautiful weather here today, I'm wondering what the process would be to override that switch to allow top dropping until I can replace it. Anybody have a pic/description of that?

Off to check ShipKiller's awesome writeup to see if that is documented!
Appreciate 0