View Single Post
      10-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
MontereyZ
Rep
Drives: None-yet

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [7.00]
My '06 Z4 3.0i now has a top that does not open, at 30,500 mi. Dealer inspected and said in the invoice: "Customer states the top will not close. Top feels loose, like it's not connected to lifting mechanism. Micro switches working." In order to further diagnose the problem the top has to be removed. The tech suggested that there could be a hydraulic leak, but no evidence of the leak was found. I suggest the motor is bad ( I didn't have any trouble with the top previously to this), and have looked at DIY's on removing the top, and the problem with the corrosion in the motors. If I have them do the work, I certainly will have them put in a motor. I don't want to do this again. I have only had the car 2 1/2 years, and put only about 4000 miles on it. It rarely gets wet, even. Perhaps the drains are plugged and I will have them cleaned out as well.
The dealer wants $340 for the motor and says it takes 12 hours to remove and replace the top. I asked about the 'insulation' or the cover over the motor was told that it didn't show up on the parts diagram. Total "estimate" is about $2100, plus tax and 'fluid'. Should an experienced tech really need that much time to take out the top?

Jeff
Appreciate 0