10-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
i've seen that thread before... the only thing modified was removal of the batting. this would not change anything performance-wise, and might actually increase backpressure due to a loss of gas guidance provided by the very tightly packed batting, effectively inducing eddying.

the batting and overall shape of the muffler helps to combat standing waves. my theory is: if i can modify to a straight-through design while keeping the batting and muffler shape the car will retain the OE sound and lack of drone while increasing volume. my guess is this will also add some popping noises which to me is a bit of a negative, but we'll just have to wait and see. the sheer size of the muffler should help keep the sound low and healthy and completely devoid of rasp.

and this is truely the best part of the experimenting... i do not yet know the outcome. i will absolutely post the results though, so stay tuned.

as far as the asthetics are concerned, i actually quite like the look of the OE cans. it adds a visual weight that seems more functional than pretty... idk... i'm probably alone in this thought. and i have something else planned that i believe will compliment the functional look, so now this is being co-developed with another project.

now... i am completely open to ideas as i haven't modified anything yet, so if anyone has anything to add in... do it! i'm all ears!
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0