View Single Post
      12-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Almost all of the high end BMW diagnostic machines and software can read most of the functions and sensors of the car in realtime. But since I started to play with the INPA software from BMW I have found that it is the most complete there is, but with a steep learning curve.

In my experience and trials with the INPA, I found that with careful thought with what you are doing, by monitoring EVERYTHING on the car, 99% of any issues can be troubleshot.

Example,

I was playing with the SRS system and doing some monitoring. I found I could watch what the passenger seat sensor mat was doing, added some weight to the seat and watch the mat trigger that a passenger is seated. This is a dynamic monitor of the sensor mat, not just looking at a code stored in the SRS module. This is the real deal.

I also discovered that the TPMS on the car does record and report the actual tire pressure, dynamically. I was monitoring all four wheels and had my buddy bleed air from a tire, and watched the PSI readings lower, then added air and watch the realtime PSI data increment up. All of the bitching and moaning about the car not monitoring the actual values is not because of design limitations but because BMW decided not to show the driver the actual values for some reason. I have a theory on this, but that is for a later time.

You can control/monitor windows, seats. It even reports the actual current draw on windows and power seats while they are being operated. This is a great troubleshooting aid.

Using the laptop, I turned on the radio, changed stations, changed bands etc. Everything you as a user can do from inside the car, you can change from your computer. Turn on the left headlight, the right blinker, brake lights. You get the idea.

You have COMPLETE control of the car.

There is so much you can look at and control on the car it really is unbelievable.

Appreciate 0