View Single Post
      01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #86
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm no engineer, but after 30K miles the stock transmission mounts were rather spongy and soft in terms of feel. The feel of the shifter is better with the RE neoprene, and outside of track use, issues with finding second from third are pretty much gone on the street.

The transmission mounts used on the Z4 2.5 - M are exactly the same as well, and there's a big difference in engine torque in those models.

That said....

It may in fact be the case that motor movement and secondary movement in the drive train are the primary causes for denial of second, 1st to 2nd, and other shifting related woes. That wouldn't surprise me at all, since the engine is heavy, tall, and carries a lot of inertia. Not to mention torque--and a hell of a lot in Byron's case and for those with FI motors.

This may be why removing the softer (or softer over time/use) stock transmission mounts improves things to some degree, but is not a complete cure, especially on the track. I can't wait to see the results, this should really help improve things.

I'm in for two sets of these.
Appreciate 0