Thread: HPDE musings
View Single Post
      04-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #138
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Heat capacity doesn't help if you can't evacuate it fast enough, and the MZ4 coupe just happens to be one of the better BMWs at it than most. Those louvres cut into the dust shield does a decent job and the two piece rotor will keep the system in operating heat range longer than most.

There are two scenarios I can see getting a fixed caliper system would be beneficial on the MZ4 Coupe. 1) to impress the chicks. 2) you're beyond just lapping for fun and need super precise brake modulation because you are now applying brake at the last tenth of a second and the difference in 5% pedal pressure means you're blowing the corner.

Fixed calipers gives you much better consistency in pedal feel and modulation, because there are far fewer axis for components to move in. I once spoke with an experienced club racer, and he said data acquisition showed he was nearly 1 second per lap faster with a big brake kit due to the ability to shave about a 1/10th per braking zone, and his times were more consistent.

That's my opinion, anyway. Which isn't to say that your average DE driver won't benefit from BBKs. For me, the cost/benefit analysis shows that it's borderline helpful, and I've put it in the "nice to have but won't bother me if I don't" category. And certainly not at the cost of having to buy new wheels to get them to fit.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0