View Single Post
      12-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Need help identifying possible suspension noise

I keep hearing a clunk noise coming from the passenger rear shock area.

It sounds like either a loose (heavy) nut, or a marble knocking inside a can. It happens pretty much only when the passenger side rear wheel goes over a man-hole cover and occassionally when I go over speed bumps slowly. It doesn't happen when I turn either left or right. It doesn't happen when I'm simply going straight over rough roads.

If I'm driver, the noise seems to come from the trunk area over my right shoulder. If I'm sitting in the passenger seat, it sounds like it's coming from the shock area. I even climbed into the trunk while mister_roger drove the car around. I did hear the clunk a few times, but still had trouble finding the source, but I don't think it's any of the plastic trim inside the trunk.

I took out my Koni rear shock for inspection. Aside from a little bit of oil at the top adjustor, the shock appeared clean; but I don't know for sure if the shock is blown or not. I did re-tigthen the rear-shock mount so I'm certain it isn't the RSM making the noise.

Could this be related to the loose swaybar mount bolt issue that the Z4M's seem to have? Maybe a loose muffler mounting bolt?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0