View Single Post
      03-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe
I agree with everyone's opinion on here about the V12s. The wear is great, dry traction is awesome, all that's been said already. Wet traction wasn't the best, but having (finally!) had some skid pad training, i felt more confident in *MY* abilities in the wet, so maybe i pushed them past the traction limit.

Agreed that I won't be getting these again. I might shell out the money for PSS, but I'm hoping by that time there will be some good reviews for the RS3 (Hankook). I've still got about 50% tread left on these currently so it's still further off.

I've only driven on these and KDWs (not including the stock Contis), so I don't have much of a differing opinion on tires. (if any cares the KDW were garbage. seemed to get greasier the warmer they got, but that's for a different thread)
I run RS3s for autocross and track, and IMO I'd steer someone towards Dunlop ZIIs over RS3s.

RS3s need a lot of heat to get grip. Any day below 75 you will have a hard time. As well, they are scary in the cold and wet. I had a track day at Mid-Ohio in 55 degree weather and rain and it was scary, no confidence what so ever.

RS3s also require a large slip angle to achieve maximum grip. While the break-away is linear, the Dunlop ZIs (haven't driven on ZIIs) are easier to predict when you're going to lose traction, and IMO the star specs can recover faster than the RS3s when you exceed grip.

The RS3s like to tramline a bit and are noisy on the highway.

Awesome high performance tire, just not good for DD
Appreciate 0