03-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post
Understood. Really just hoping for a good street tire that can handle the wet and not be completely out of its element if I show up to the track perhaps a couple of times a year.

Also, while I've got everyone's attention, any thoughts on tire size? Prior owner was running 235/40s and 265/35s on the 18x8.5 and 18x10 wheels. I'm planning to replace with 245/40s and 275/35s. May also lower the car a bit, but seems like these would still be ok?
What kind of wheels and more importantly offsets? 245/275 combo works fine with those size wheels--have it running with 8.5 ET37 and 9.5 ET22.

RE: track, are you a really advanced driver? If not (hey, that's not me either), and if you don't push too hard, I think the PSS would be fine for the occassional light and easy fun day. As Kgolf says, PSS is not really designed for that, but I don't think you want to shell out $$$ for a dedicated set of wheels/tires for 2x days at the track a year.

My advice would be to get something that is prioritized along the lines of need--and given location, that's good dry performance and very good wet performance as top priorities, track needs further down the list. Whether that's PSS or Conti DW or DWS, I'd just put wet traction up pretty high on the list. Just my 2 cents obviously.

I know I sound like a cheering section for the PSS, but I really like the tire, especially in the rain. Here's another review, done by a pretty good track rat, on the PSS. Worth a look.

Thanks for the forum compliments. It's a great (and unusual) group here at Zpost. Unique in fact compared to most internet "forums". Recommend getting one of these when they come out. Quite a few forum members in the Pacific NW, and here in Norcal as well.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-19-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0