04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
I need a price check from my fellow owners.

I dropped my 2007 roadster at the dealership (D1) today for replacement of the convertible roof motor (the hydraulic pump). It is covered under my certified pre-owned warranty for another week (7 days exactly), according to the dealership (D2) that sold it to me. D2 is too far for me to have the car fixed there, so D1 (closer location) is getting my business (maybe).

D1 told me today that they can't diagnose the hydraulic pump via diagnostic to see if it failed due to a warranty-covered condition, and will need me to pay $680 for the removal and reinstallation of the convertible top, in order for them to check out the pump. If the pump failed due to a warranty-covered issue, I will owe only a $50 deductible, total. If the pump failed due to some reason that's not covered, such as water intrusion, then I'll have to pay the $680 for the top removal/installation, plus another $1,200 for the hydraulic pump parts and labor to remove the old one and install the new one (total of $1,800). If the 2 roof lifters (1 "strut" on each side) failed/are leaking, the cost could be $3,000 for parts and labor.

This is not something I want to tackle DIY, but I'd like to know I'm getting a fair deal. How many hours does BMW state it takes to remove the top and put it back on? D1 is estimating it will take them 6.5 hours ($104 per hour) just for the top removal and installation. That's over and above the price of labor and parts for the pump removal and installation.

2 other dealerships quoted me a pump (parts only) price of $490. One says I may also need a hardware kit ($77) and fluid ($50). Dealership 3 (D3) estimates a total price for all labor and parts at $1,400, total (take roof off, pull pump, replace pump, reinstall roof). Of course, that's an oral quote over the phone from a dealership 160 miles away. If I brought it to them, that could change once they have me on the lift.

I'd like to get an idea of what others are paying for this. With the possibility that the warranty might cover it, I didn't take it to an indy.

I'm going to ask to keep the old pump if I have to pay for it, so I might be able to rebuild it for next time.
I bought a used pump off the classifieds for like $200 and had my local inde shop install it for like $600.
Appreciate 0