View Single Post
      04-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Some great pointers here. I'm still a novice with 1 1/2 years of AX, but the things that have helped me improve the most are:
1. Internalizing the course. I walk it as many times as I can, and draw a map. Then as I'm waiting for my runs, I close my eyes and try to run the course in my head from memory, like the bobsledders do.
2. I try to figure out where the important exits are - in a series of consecutive turns opening up to a straight, I'm looking at them as a whole, focusing on the best way to set up the exit. Looking ahead at that exit the whole time. Then looking at the next series of turns.
3. Try to drive tighter to the cones. My lines are fairly smooth, but I tend to be too far out from the cones. Getting closer to the important apexes really helps my times.
4. try to quickly figure which corner(s) is the hard one. There's usually one bear that bites me, maybe overcooking or losing control. I really try to focus on setting up, and getting that corner right.

The great thing about autocross is there is so much to learn, you can be enjoying improving for a lifetime.
Appreciate 0