09-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #27
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
If you come to the CCSCC autocross school, I would instruct you. I don't tend to teach at Chicago SCCA or BMWCCA anymore as they tend to overlap and I'm racing myself. With that said, I always try to teach how to dissect courses into three or four segments which can be memorized so you are dictating where you want to be before you get there. The key part of this is really understanding how to walk a course, walk it three times, where you can walk your line with your eyes closed. I know it's hard but autocross is very much a mental game to learn what you don't need to pay attention to to. Virtually every course has 70-80% which don't have any importance. Learning how to eliminate those from your view makes this process much easier. Once the course is mastered in your mind, going faster is about how long your foot is on one pedal, and not on the other. In a stock car, straight line braking is absolutely critical. Your tires can brake, turn or accelerate but not two or three together. I can make you faster while slowing down the "mechanism". On instructional runs where I'm driving, I often tell the passenger every little thing I'm doing just before I'm going to do it so they can understand it is a thinking game that can be slowed down even if it seems like it is all coming at them fast. I'm sorry if my comment came off very critical. You have extremely abrupt inputs which are typically a response to being behind the course due to reacting to it as it is right in front of you. Only in exceptionally rare instances do I point segment to segment as it makes the student dependent on my pointing.
Thanks. If I do a CCSCC school I will let you know!

No worries about the criticism - that's why I keep posting the videos in this thread! I can see how course memorization comes into play with my inputs, as you said that they are very abrupt, probably due to "reacting" to the course as I drive through it rather than thinking ahead. Hopefully the last video for this season next weekend will be a little better.
Appreciate 0