View Single Post
      09-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

A harness bar is usually just a cross-brace that allows you to attach harnesses. Nothing more. This is most certainly considered a "half cage". But I should say that there is actually no entity out there that permits competitive racing using only a half cage.

That said, two things caused me to do some additional research. There is one bend at the top of the primary hoop. It is a very obtuse angle from what I can tell and, according to BMW CCA rules, you are allowed no more the FOUR bends in the hoop. The other thing I noted was that the diagonal (diagonals if you get that option) does not extend fully to the rear mount point over the opposite shock tower. The rules state that these bars should extend to as close to the mount plate "as practically possible". I have to assume that this leeway means that not extending all the way to the mount plate is safe; otherwise, it'd have an explicit requirement. If it extended further I think you'd be bumping in to trim. I see no other parts of concern...

So... it should definitely be understood that this is not a bar that'll be acceptable for wheel to wheel racing application. However, for the parts it does have, it meets or exceeds the rules. That is sufficient for me. I also like that if I wanted to ever go to a full cage (which I doubt will be the case with this car), I could likely just add on required braces to bring it to spec. I think this kit offers a very capable and safe setup to the person who goes to the track and wants the piece of mind of a more substantial roll-over protection.