Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Out of curiosity, have you tried resetting it?

I have a feeling that if the dealer doesn't know what to do about it, they will just reset it and "fix" something, send you on your way, and pray you don't come back. Then you'll have to get another service appointment, and your car will be driven for a month or more with the problem.

I'm curious as to whether this is a one-time fault that causes a hard light, or if it's related to a continuous malfunction. With a one-time fault, the dealership may or may not fix something and just reset the light. If it's a continuous malfunction, they will be forced to do something to shut up the fault code.

When my airbag light illuminated, I brought my car to the dealership to have it reset (out of warranty). I had tripped the light when jumping the car. I was told the fault was related to the sensor in the seat, and parts would be $650 and labor another few hundred dollars. Most customers would have just taken the dealership's word and thrown down $1000 for the new sensor to be installed, listening to the BS about how the SA "wouldn't mess with the airbags... that's like signing a death warrant!" After further probing, I found out the fault had only appeared once (as I suspected), and thanked them and was on my way. It's been fine for over a year now, and I have another grand in the bank.

I know certain code readers can determine if a fault is continuous or a one-time occurrence, and the number of times a fault has appeared. Even when the codes are "cleared" and light reset, they are saved in a history folder in the car. So, if you reset the code now and it doesn't return prior to your appointment, your dealership may be able to pull up the history folder and see that the fault was recorded.

If you are out of warranty I would try resetting the light. They get paid more for out of warranty work, so they will do everything they can to retrieve that code from your car's history. If you are still under warranty, I wouldn't touch it until the dealer gets hold of it.
Appreciate 0