View Single Post
      12-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #73
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
The gear channel really isn't that important and you can make a math channel for it based on the wheel speed and rpm. That is all that the calibration is doing for you.

For analysis you are mostly using speed, lat and long G, steering, brake pressure, and throttle position.
Agree, but I think it's turned into one of those "principle" kind of things--can't let this little electronic thing get the best of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Dunno. I'll test it today and report back.
Yes, I can display gear on a custom screen. I successfully recalibrated a couple times today, but I batted maybe .200 on my attempts. I have a new technique for you to try: (1) Find a deserted road or a big, empty parking lot. Note that you'll need to get above idle speed in 5th and 6th for the Solo to be able to distinguish between the upper gears. (2) Go to your screen displaying gear, and then go back to the menu, then to system, then to reset gear cailbration. Select "reset" to clear what's in there. (3) After the Solo goes back to the system menu, start rolling very slowly in 1st, and then select "Reset Gear Calibration" again. (4) After 5 or so seconds in 1st, go up thorugh each remaining gear, spending at least 5 seconds in each. As I said, make sure you're getting up above idle in 5th and 6th. If you're lugging in 6th, you need to go faster. By now, your screen has probably reverted to your custom screen showing gear. All you should see is "---" right now. (5) Once you've been through all 6 gears, stop. When the screen swaps over to disply test results (or whatever screen it goes to automatically when the car stops moving), you should see "Stop" at the bottom left--select that. Not sure if that matters, but each time I successfully calibrated I had done that, so go with it. From there, you should be able to drive and see the gear number. Of course, sitting still or otherwise holding the clutch in for an extended period will give you "---".

Let me know how that goes.