View Single Post
      06-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Really? On a track prepped car like this one that actually sees the track?

I agree that on a street car it looks plain silly and downright comedic, but if you're serious about tracking a functional splitter and wing provide some documented benefits (seen here with forum member's track times and entrance/exit speeds through corners).
I have yet to experience the need for any significant aero work on this car and I've seen north of 145mph on the banked portion of California Speedway.

IMO (here we go again), unless there are significant weight reduction from both ends, this car does not need aerodynamic aid since the drag will reduce the available HP, and at 330 you're going to need every HP you've got to move 3,400+ lbs (trust me, unless you weight 120 lbs, the car is going to be over 3,400+ lbs). Club racers that ran any sort of significant wing(s) like this typically weight in at around 2,600 lbs or less with driver, and has enough power AND grip to require down-force.

Frankly, these wings on anything outside of cars modified for competition, are mostly for looks only. Very few will be going at 90mph+ through a turn only to find that their car is too light to have any significant grip on either end.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0