View Single Post
      04-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Painted reflectors

Here is a quick and easy DIY for painted reflectors. I had used Dan’s Decals before having the fronts molded in, and painting the rear reflectors. The decals work great for the price and ease of installation, but the color is not perfect.

I purchased everything from Express Paint. Following the provided instructions, the results were flawless. I was hesitant at first because Interlagos blue is a tough color to match, but the color is dead on. Here is a link to Express Paint:
https://www.expresspaint.com/contact_us/

The notes below are in order of the photos added. A clean, dust free, wind free work space is very important.

1. This photo photo is the view directly behind the rear plastic wheel well. Just disconnect plug, turn the reflecotor counter clockwise to remove.

2. This photo shows the reflecots after I sanded them down removing the raised lettering on the reflector. This is an extra step, but provides a cleaner finished look.

3. This step promotes a good bond between the plastic and the paint.

4. Primer. 1 even coat.

5. This photo shows the reflectors painted and clear coated. I applied two even coats of paint and 1 even coat of clear. The clear was the most dificult. Very tacky and I messed one reflector up by applying to much clear coat. I had to redo this reflector and it was a pain removing all the primer paint etc. to start from scratch. The trick is patients. The clear looks blotchy when you first apply, then smoothes itself out.

6. Baked the reflectors in my oven. This step worked really well to cure the finish. The downside is my kitchen smelled like automotive paint for a week, and the wife did not appreciate this.

7. Finish result. Color match is dead on.
Attached Images